Week of Sunday, October 4th/2015
Bazaar! Bazaar! Bazaar!
Our Annual Parish Bazaar will take place on Saturday, November 7th, 9:00am-3:00pm (Please note earlier closing time) at St. Margaret Mary School Gym. Be sure to note the date in your calendar!
We Are Doing It Again! Mangia! Mangia! St. Margaret Mary Parish Pasta Supper
St. Margaret Mary Parish Community is planning a Pasta Supper on Sunday, November 15th, at Michelangelo Banquet Centre. Ticket sales will begin Saturday/Sunday, October 17th/18th in the Hearth Room before and after the weekend Masses.
Twinning of St. Gabriel Parish Update
Click here (pdf) to read an update on St. Margaret Mary's Twinning of St. Gabriel Parish mission (December 2014).
Would you like to volunteer?
As we enter September and the start-up of the many groups that we have in the parish, it is a wonderful time to thank God for the many great volunteers that we have in our parish. Click here for a list of Ministries available serving St. Margaret Mary.
See the Parish Bulletin for more Event details.
In the 1950's the Diocese of Hamilton was faced with a pressing need for new
elementary schools due to a rapid increase in population. The Board of
Trustees of the Hamilton-Wentworth Roman Catholic Separate School Board
purchased land on the east mountain in the planned subdivision of Huntington
Three years later, in September of 1957, St. Margaret Mary School
opened its doors. The four room country school, built in the middle of a
fallow field, became the foundation of our parish community.
The school was under the aegis of Blessed Sacrament parish. Monsignor
Arthur J. O'Brien visited the students once a week to oversee religious
instruction. First Communicants and Confirmandii walked from St. Margaret
Mary School to Blessed Sacrament Church along Fennell Avenue. Baptisms,
marriages and funerals were conducted from Blessed Sacrament Church.
In 1966 Father Kyran D. Kennedy was sent to found the new parish of St.
Margaret Mary and build a new church to house the parishioners. With the
arrival of Father Kennedy, the St. Margaret Mary parish community was born.
Now, Mass and Baptisms were celebrated in the school gymnasium.
From 1966 to 1969, a bungalow at 35 Kenwood Avenue served as St. Margaret
Mary headquarters. The basement became the office and parochial meeting
place. For three years, from 1966 to 1969, the parish focused on the
construction of a new church. A group of parishioners formed a building
committee to assist in its development. On July 5, 1968, the sale of land
adjacent to the school was agreed upon. Just four days after the agreement,
the Most Reverend Bishop Joseph Ryan turned the sod.
Burlington Architect Frank Burcher was contracted to draw up the plans for
the new church, which would be built by Patrick Daly Contracting Limited.
Father Kennedy said, "Our new church is to be unreservedly contemporary in
design". Soon Father Kennedy's thoughts and ideas would be drawn into
St. Margaret Mary Church would be symbolic and interpretative of Pope John
XXIII's vision of the future. The Church is not so much a building as a
community of worshippers. Therefore, the structure is almost circular to
accentuate the sense of inclusiveness.
In February 1969, with construction well underway, the cornerstone was laid.
On June 15, 1969, at 3:00 in the afternoon, Bishop Ryan held a
concelebrated Mass and the church was blessed. Nearly one year after the
turning of the sod, the church was complete and the 600 parish families were
inspired by the structure that was truly "unreservedly contemporary in design".
Today St. Margaret Mary Parish is a vibrant, active community numbering 3,000 families, making it one of the largest parishes in the Diocese of Hamilton. The parish serves three elementary schools (St. Margaret
Mary, St. Kateri Tekakwitha and St. Anthony Daniel) and one secondary school
(St. Jean de Brebeuf). Our priests, staff and numerous lay ministers
continue to serve the growing community in a spirit filled with God's love